Rescue Training Group is a leader in delivering Swift Water Rescue Courses. The Swiftwater Rescue Operator Course (SRO) has been developed in line with Australian and International swiftwater rescue standards.
This Operator level course incorporates nationally accredited Units of Competency:
- SISOBWG404A Apply river crossing skills
- SISOWWR201A Demonstrate self rescue skills in white water
- SISOWWR302A Demonstrate white water rescues and recoveries
The course includes topics such as:
- International Rescue Philosophy
- Self-rescue techniques
- Incident Control System
- Swiftwater Hydrology & Dynamics
- Medical Considerations
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Technical Rescue Equipment
- Knots & Anchors
- Mechanical Advantage Systems
- Hazard Identification & Safety Orientation
- Swimming – Defensive & Offensive
- Low to High Risk Rescue Options
- Throwbag Rescues
- Contact Rescues
- Towed Rescues
- Shallow Water Crossings
- Pinning Type Rescues
- Foot Entrapment Rescues
- Strainer Negotiation
- Two & Four Point Boat on Tether
- Tyrolean Rope System with Boat on Tether
- Swiftwater Risk Management
Who is the course for?
The SRO course is designed for rescue workers, rafting guides, outdoor education leaders, adventure guides, school teachers and paddlers.
For people working as a member of a specialist team (i.e. Fire fighters, SES) we offer the option of completing the added nationally accredited Public Safety units:
- PUASAR033 Perform land based swift Water and flood water rescue and recovery
- PUASAR034 Undertake swiftwater and floodwater rescue and recovery
Training and Assessment
The SRO course is delivered over 4 days. Training and assessment will comprise of both theoretical (I day) and practical components (3 days).
Are there any course pre-requisites?
The SRO Course is an intensive 4 day program which is both physically and mentally demanding. As a result, students will require an appropriate level of fitness and commitment to effectively participate in the program.
Swiftwater Rescue Operator Course students must be 18 years of age.
What certification is issued?
Upon successful completion of the SRO course and assessment, along with Unit of Competency requirements, Rescue Training Group (RTO30993) will issue students with a Nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.
Please see Training Calendar
RTG is happy to tailor make a course for an individual workplace and location (price on application).